Does anyone else listen to the Happier Podcast with Gretchen Rubin and her sister Elizabeth Craft? At the beginning of 2018, they both came up with a list of 18 things they wanted to do or focus on in 2018. An inveterate list-maker, I decided to play along. Here are my 18 in 2018 (in no particular order). Will try not to editorialize overly much.
- Learn to make gnocchi with the girls (thank you Eleanor).
- Renew passports.
- Turn 40 (gracefully). It’s going to happen whether I put it on the list or not, might as well have some intent around it!
- Run/walk (planning to run) Hood to Coast Washington with my dear college friends again in June. Implies there’s some training going on beforehand.
- Read first thing and last thing every day (not on phone).
- Streamline event planning at the store (say no more often, space out events, be more proactive).
- Go on quarterly solo reading getaways (probably one night).
- Light the candles (especially during the dark seasons).
- Spending fast/year of no shopping inspired by Ann Patchett. Only buy what I need in 2018 – no shopping for clothes or beauty products for fun. I unsubscribed from every email and unfollowed all stores on social media. Books are not part of this!
- Spend one night away a month with our family of four.
- Work for at least an hour before I go down to the shop (okay, have to editorialize here – I have been doing this for a bit now and it’s amazing how one hour of focused work changes my day in immense ways).
- Plan for Olympia’s first literary festival (this is exciting and big and we’re planning for September 2019).
- Do 23 and Me (genetic testing service).
- Travel with Telfer for my 40th birthday – walking trip in England and a couple of days in Paris.
- Watch all the 2018 Best Picture Nominees.
- Finish organizing pantry and labeling spice jars as well as finish niggling/less fun leftover items from our remodel.
- Fix the stairs at the store (major construction project) and re-vision children’s section.
- Build a more cohesive and rich web presence for the store.
If anyone else has a 18 in 2018 list, I would love, love to see it!